[MLUG] netbooks / laptops

Alex Bedard alex at dastyle.net
Wed Mar 11 11:34:35 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM, David Montminy
<david.montminy at gmail.com>wrote:

> Alex Bedard wrote:
> > I tried one, but what I find annoying is that unless you use the
> > default limited linux distro, if you use a regular distro like Debian
> > or Ubuntu, the resolution is so low that it cuts off the bottom of
> > some unresizeable windows, like say you go in Evolution under
> > tools->options, you can't see the bottom of the window to go click OK
> > or Cancel. Of course you can grab the window by doing ctrl-alt-click
> > and moving it up, but it's pretty annoying.
> That is only true in the 7inches models because they have 800x480
> resolutions, while the larger (or newer) models have 1024x600
> resolutions... I can't understand why they choose these particular
> resolutions but it seems every netbook is made why these screens.
>
> That is also the reason why I changed from a 7inches to a 10inches
> netbook. The size was not perfect but the resolution was starting to be
> a problem.
>
> David Montminy

I agree, the 1000HE is really nice from a hardware point of view and the
keyboard feels quite natural, and the keyboard doesn't really take any time
to get used to it.  I just wish that netbooks in general had screens with a
higher pixel depth to allow better resolutions, as some manufacturers offer
13-14" laptops, with 1440x900 or even 1680x1050 resolution.