[MLUG] Wonders of Gparted

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 11:26:26 EDT 2009

One of the features of Gparted, the linux partition editor program, is that it is ubiquitous. It is available as a stand alone livecd facility, or as an installable program with just about every distribution.  There is a little known benefit function that is buried in the layers of menus.

First of all, if your flash drive is corrupted, it will be mounted, when you plug it, but not necessarily readable. (typically mounted in   /media  )

If drive is corrupted, it will be seen as a RO, which is what you want it to be if you plan recovery.

To perform a recovery, proceed and open the Partition menu and select the check entry.  It will call the appropriate linux check utility.  For me this was wonderful, as I had a flash drive that was not readable.  And I had a hard disk backup drive 512gig that was half full, that also failed.

Well, Gparted allows you to unmount a drive and it still shows in the list. It then allows a check to be performed.

In my case, running Partition --> check      two times in succession fully recovered my external hard disk. In a scan, there were some very few entries that were in the subdirectories twice. (fewer then 6). Manual corrections were done.

Gparted makes life easy as it saves time (and thinking :)  )

Wierd though, I was running Pidgin, the MSN alternative, and with it running, flash drives did not want to mount.  Canning Pidgin worked.

Leslie

Was this posting of interest?   How to create a blog?