[MLUG] Don't Laugh...

David Montminy david.montminy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 12:29:56 EDT 2009

Sorin Toma wrote:
> sustain_ability at 123mail.org wrote:
>
>> Hello/Bonjour,
>>
>> Does anybody do pagers? I found one for sale on Kijiji, none on
>> Craigslist. I suspect the technology's gone to dodo-land.
>> Cheers
>> Sustain
>>

> Hello,
> I use one, yes. It's easy to configure a modem to page you in case of a
> server failure (ofc you can do the same thing to the cellphone, but the
> cellphone is turned off while sleeping, going to a restaurant, to a
> movie or when a boss has pissed you off, ain't it?).

You should be aware that the old pagers did not guaranty delivery of
message. SMS guaranty delivery, but if the message has to be re-send it
is put last in a very long queue... It might take hours for a re-send.

Important things to know, if these tools are used to monitor any server
(and time is important)

David Montminy