[MLUG] A mini blog about file systems. BTFRS

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Mar 22 22:00:56 EDT 2009

> When btfrs was announced for Linux (Fedora --> RH), I asked what will
> happen with both BTFRS and LVM, and the reply was that LVM will be
> faded out.

I can believe that for some distributions this will be the case.
But for this to be true in general, this presumes that btrfs will more
or less kill all other filesystems, which I find hard to believe: btrfs
is very "un-linuxy", it's a big do-it-all monster.  Fading out LVM and
MD (which also provides features made redundant in btrfs) basically only
makes sense if you consider that btrfs is the end-all-be-all of
filesystems.  Tho, maybe the volume-management part of btrfs will
eventually be factored out such that it can be used for any other
filesystem, at which point indeed LVM and MD may disappear.

        Stefan