[MLUG] Linux kernel drivers source has binary blobs?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Mar 26 11:19:22 EDT 2009

> I get the feeling that most of these blobs are actually compiled firware
> code from the associated .C files but I don't have time to check...

IIUC these are indeed all blobs that are downloaded into some embedded
CPU on the device.  Otherwise it would cause problems when compiling for
different architectures.

Also I believe that more recent drivers prefer to leave those binary
blobs outside of the kernel proper and download them at boottime from
/lib/firmware (via udev).

        Stefan