[MLUG] My CentOS server reboots unexpextedly

Stephane Bakhos nuitari-mlug at nuitari.net
Thu Mar 26 20:29:09 EDT 2009

> Ok i would check a few thinsg that might not be related directly. But
> some stuff i have actually seen in the past.
>
> 1.) UPS is misbehaving and sending a shutdown event to the server.
>
> 2.) Check the capacitors on the system board and pay attention if any
> are bulging.
>
> 3.) I have seen weak power supplies have this effect.
>
> Also in some of the above cases i have seen shutdown messages in the
> logs as if someone initiated the shutdown similar to what you have seen
> and this was due to a faulty power supply. Now i cannot explain how when
> the system looses power it is able to log the event.

Here is what I've had for unexpected hardware issues:

1. Power supplies that weren't strong enough
2. Not enough balancing of the electrical load on the various branches of
wires coming out of a power supply (this one took me months to find out)
3. Bad memory
4. Bad CPU
5. Thermal events (eg cpu or northbridge overheating pass the cutoff
point)
6. Bad capacitors anywhere (mobo or power supply)
7. Defective add in card sending bogus stuff on the busses.