[MLUG] has anybody played around with natty? for my amd netbook, it's really awful...

Jeremy me at jeremychapman.info
Fri Apr 1 17:20:00 EDT 2011

On 11-03-27 09:32 AM, Peter Silva wrote:
> <rant>
> I speak as an ubuntu fan, with a house full of ubuntu's, and long
> experience.  natty not just slightly painful.   It is seriously unusably
> bad regressions awful...  on 10.10,  I was used to not having
> suspend/resume, to having to stop looking at video to keep the graphics
> chip from overheating (triggering a shutdown) but 11.04 is far, far
> worse.  the trackpad (this might be hardware) doesn't work, there isn't
> anywhere to set it.  The wireless no longer works (not a driver issue, I
> start up wpa_supplicant & dhclient by hand and it's fine about half the
> time, the rest of the time, it refuses to associate. I rmmod ath9k, then
> modprobe it again, and then I can get bandwidth back.  I just leave it
> alone for a few hours, it is always crashed/hung... I suspect it's the
> open source X drivers not dealing well with GL screen savers, because it
> doesn't crash much when I stay in front of it.  I will refrain from
> talking about Unity beyond saying it is clearly not ready in a thousand
> ways, I switched to xfce to get away, which was less foreign, but all
> the hardware issues remain.  (tests done mostly with alpha3) losing all
> the knobs to adjust things, it is just a really big step backwards.   I
> worry that in trying to make Unity, which should be a big step forwards,
> people are forgetting just how many little details went into making
> ubuntu/gnome actually work.  I was a kubuntu user for years but had
> recently switched to the gnome stream because of all the little things
> that didn't work.  The unity people have years of work to do before we
> get to usability parity with the classic desktop.   It's just so
> unspeakably bad that I don't even have the courage to submit a bug
> report, it isn't even close to being usable, it just feels like a
> complete waste of time.   Seriously,  Canonical cannot be serious about
> this.  It isn't going to work.
> </rant>
>
> I feel better now...

I have installed it twice now on different machines, and performed a
10.10 in-place upgrade on my laptop. Everything works fine, the desktop
is different, but very usable and in fact maybe even dare I say it
better. All my hardware is supported with no messing about at all.

I don't think we can call this release a write-off just yet, but perhaps
I'm just a fanboi :)

Jeremy