[MLUG] Cloud Computing

Alexandre Blanc alexandre at inforeseau.com
Tue Apr 5 13:19:32 EDT 2011

Hi,

IMHO, i'd say that the cloud is not a real problem and won't drop
sysadmin jobs, at the end (maybe some managers think they'll save some
money this way, but won't last).

Cloud allow basically to share hardware resources that you don't have to
maintain (but somebody still has to do the job...), and the installed
systems on those, still have to be maintained (still need a sysadmin!).

There's also the fact that it's much more complicated to keep the
control on the processes, on the confidentiality and more.

A last point, even if "shops" move to the cloud, they still need a local
network and clients (even thin clients) to access and manage the datas.
So, sysadmins still have to keep all of this connected together.

We'll see in the very next future, but, my guess is that sysadmin will
still be needed wherever there's something about using any kind of
computers, and network.

Alexandre BLANC (Sysadmin / Netadmin)