[MLUG] Kubuntu 10.10, ca fr keyboard not working anymore

spam spammer nospamormorespam at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 18:34:56 EDT 2011

If I may be so bold as to suggest that you use the Canadian Multi-lingual
keyboard? It is in essence, the same as the French-Canadian keyboard but
with a few add-ons. The é is in the same spot and perhaps the circumflex
also, I don't really remember any more for I haven't used a typewriter since
1980 more or less. I learnt to type on that keyboard in 1966 but I've been
using computer keyboards since 1979. When I discovered the optional keyboard
settings, I started to use the multi-lingual option on every OS I could.
This simplified things for me because I didn't have to learn a NEW keyboard
no matter which language I had to write in; English, French, German, Spanish
and Italian.
So you can set up your keyboard for your own situation quite easily. The à,
è, ç and even ù are from a simple key press. Others, like £, ¢, ß, œ,ø, þ,
æ, ð, ŋ, ħ, and ij are from pressing a key, usually left Alt or another one
you set yourself and the letter simultaneously, much like just pressing
Shift to obtain a capitol letter. Others, along the lines of ë, ö, ê û, í,
ú, á  and ñ are produced by key combinations in succession.