[MLUG] Japanese input

David Montminy david.montminy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 08:35:22 EDT 2011

On 09/04/2011 1:41 PM, ravnox at arkanox.net wrote:
> A few days ago, I tried to get Japanese input running, after messing
> around with SCIM then ibus, I got it working. After a reboot, It
> wouldn't work anymore then I noticed I've lost my ability to type some
> characters with my normal layout.
>
> I use the French legacy keyboard layout, (setxkbmap -layout ca -variant
> fr).  Usually, I'll type "^" then "e" and I'll have a "e with a hat".
> This does not work anymore, I just get "^" then "e".  I've tried to set
> my keyboard layout using setxkbmap, I've tried changing it using the
> system settings, I've made sure ibus isn't running and I've even tried
> other variant in case this wasn't the right one.  I can't get this to
> work again and this is one of the most stupid reason to re-install an
> OS.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

How well did the character input japanese worked? I tried it a long time
ago (when I was studying japanese back in college), and I could only use
the "romanji" encoding:
type "kawa" to get "かわ", to finaly get "川" when you press space.

I really regret not buying the Laptop I saw last year in Tokyo... it
would be nice to have a computer with the Japanese keyboard layout:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Japanese

--
David Montminy