[MLUG] Gnome 3

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 15:58:14 EDT 2011

--- On Thu, 4/14/11, Alexander Bedard <alex at dastyle.net> wrote:

From: Alexander Bedard <alex at dastyle.net>
Subject: Re: [MLUG] Gnome 3
To: "Montreal Linux Users Group" <mlug at listserv.mlug.ca>
Date: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 3:35 AM

    On 13/04/2011 11:54 PM, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:

            Well, I just wiped
              out a Debian installation to install Fedora 15, with Gnome
              3.

              For a Desktop user, there is a big loss of structure.

              I did not see how to group common things together.  One
              clicks on applications and we have everyone of them
              showing. I would actually want the business stuff in a
              folder, so I can keep clutter away.

              For a developer or a serious user, Gnome 3 is not for you.
              Best to remain with the classical Gnome interface, if it
              is possible.

    It's a Fedora issue, not a Gnome 3 issue.  Fedora doesn't group it's
    application menus into categories/submenus like Debian does.

    Also, you didn't need to format & install Fedora 15 to get Gnome
    3. You could've simply added a Debian experimental mirror in your
    sources.list and install gnome3.

    Alex

Hi Alex

I am not a linux guru, but lately Squeeze was not working properly. Some of the applications appear to have memory pointer problems or whatever, and after a while, Gnome would semi-die.  When it does, clicking on the icons does zero, absolutely nothing.

When this happens, only the switch to terminal mode and issuing the poweroff works.  I have reported this problem as occurring mainly after viewing PDF files with the viewer apps.

Anyway,  I will check out JO's notes and see what else I can learn from the MLUGers

Leslie