[MLUG] Gnome 3

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 21:12:32 EDT 2011

From: Gabriel Marrero <xxgabo at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MLUG] Gnome 3
To: "Montreal Linux Users Group" <mlug at listserv.mlug.ca>
Date: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 5:28 PM

I have squeeze running on acer 4720:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7500  @ 2.20GHz, 4gb mem
I think your problem is related to memory overflow  but  related to  swap's size, I've seen similar issues like this before.

Let me know your swap's partition
xgabo

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:58:14PM -0700, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:

> I am not a linux guru, but lately Squeeze was not working properly. Some of the applications appear to have memory pointer problems or whatever, and after a while, Gnome would semi-die.  When it does, clicking on the icons does zero, absolutely nothing.

> When this happens, only the switch to terminal mode and issuing the poweroff works.  I have reported this problem as occurring mainly after viewing PDF files with the viewer apps.

> Anyway,  I will check out JO's notes and see what else I can learn from the MLUGers

> Leslie

My squeeze does similar lockups.  killall firefox-bin or killall

xulrunner-stub seems to be the cure. (sometime one works; sometime the

other; in either case, all the firefox windows disappear)

-- hendrik

mlug at listserv.mlug.ca

--
Gabriel Marrero514 714 1014

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Gabriel
I scrubbed squeeze.  I have a 4 gig system, and never had Debian exceed 900k. Swap was never used.

Thanks for the heads up.