[MLUG] netbooks / laptops

Jeremy me at jeremychapman.info
Thu Mar 5 18:09:38 EST 2009

David Pelletier wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I guess I should have ordered from ncix.com
> <http://ncix.com> from the beginning... I have the bad habit of
> wanting to help local commerce. I canceled my order with micro-bytes
> (they couldn't get it) and started looking for other laptops, because
> ncix was showing an ETA of march 24th... then I was lucky and all of a
> sudden 10 blue 1000HEs appeared in stock, and I found a coupon with
> redflagdeals that lowered the price to 449$. With taxes and shipping,
> it's even cheaper than it was at micro-bytes. I instantly placed an
> order and now I expect it next week... I'll then get to work on that
> Debian install report ASAP. ;)
Waiting for the debian report, but seriously, this is a super sweet OS
for the eee http://www.eeebuntu.org/ I have the NBR version on my first
gen model and it runs beautifully, and hey, it looks beautifully too :)
It is a 'real' (full) ubuntu 8.10 install, with a custom kernel and
various patches to make stuff work (they just pinned the important stuff
and added a ppa repo). The NBR version uses the nice netbook interface
(takes some getting used to, but I like it on small screens).

At the least, I would say give it spin as a liveUSB distro.

Jeremy