[MLUG] netbooks / laptops

Yannick Gingras ygingras at ygingras.net
Wed Mar 11 22:27:56 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> The keyboard sounds good.  I'm slowly discovering that I *can* work with
> a slightly reduced-size keyboard, so he 1000HE is sounding more
> attractive ... But I still want to know how it functions with a
> purely free Linux such as Debian without nonfree.

The reference in Free Software would be more something line Gnusense
since Debian includes many binary blobs.  I worked a bit on my
bootable membership card from the FSF and essentially everything was
working except the wifi.

Ath9k was merged in the kernel a few month after Gnusence deltah was
released so this was to be expected.  My guess is that the 1000 HE
would work perfectly fine on Gnusense augmented with a custom built
recent kernel.  I go with Kubuntu 8.10 for KDE 4.1, not for the
restriced drivers, which I did not opt-in for.  Most of the netbook
oriented distros are just a UI shell over the regular distributions
geared toward new comers.  The hardware has nothing in itself that is
fundamentally incompatible with Debian.

--
Yannick Gingras
http://ygingras.net