[MLUG] [OT] Yet an other ISP thread.

Jeremy me at jeremychapman.info
Tue Mar 24 21:17:24 EDT 2009

ravnox at arkanox.net wrote:
> It's that time of the year.  I have to renew with my ISP and I will
> not.  Videotron's prices are increasing and it's just ridiculous.  I
> pay about 91$ per month currently.  Mind you, this is for the simple
> high speed plan at 41$.  I'm always over-charged 30$ because I always
> exceed my bandwidth usage.  I can exceed it by 20GB or 100GB, it
> always cost me the extra 30$.
>
> They are now charging up to 50$ for exceeding bandwidth.  This is just
> ridiculous.  So, good people on this list, I will more than likely
> subscribe to TekSavvy, tell me, how is aDSL working out for you? I
> switched to cable to get away from all those issues and to have a
> stable link.  I am a little worry to go back to that technology.
>
> Thank you and sorry for bringing up yet an other ISP thread to this
> list.

I have had teksavvy unlim dryloop for a couple of years, and while it is
unlimited, the speed is umm.. not so good (250KB/s is most I have seen
recently, from gulus I think), reliability ranges from ok to not so
good. It is however fine for the server-ish stuff running through it
(resumable remote backups is the bulk of the traffic). I still have VT
extreme high speed capped at 100GB combined, which I have learned to
live with for the great speed and reliability.

I have done this cycle a few times now, fed up with one, go to other...
in the end, cable is still the one for me at this time for my 'main'
connection.

I pay videotron an obscene amount each month right now, but can write
some off as a biz expense luckily ;)

What happened to "DSL2" @ supposed 50MB/s speeds that rolled out a year
or more ago? They were testing in laval last I looked.

Jeremy