[MLUG] netbooks / laptops

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Wed Mar 25 17:57:29 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 06:14:33PM -0400, David Pelletier wrote:
> It works fine in eeebuntu, but the desktop environment is BAD by default. I
> tried to fix it, removed all the extra useless crap like pulseaudio and
> eventualy gave up. The latest version of Ubuntu is not the sane and light
> distro it used to be.

I had problems like that when I first fired up my AMD64 server a while ago.
Ubuntu worked, but I had very little control over what it did. (and I had
installed the stripped-down industrial version instead of the consumer
version)  I switched to Debian, even though X wasn't working yet.

-- hendrik

> Eeebuntu's only redeeming quality is that it has very
> good configuration scripts for pretty much all eee PCs in existence, I guess
> it should be possible to install these scripts on debian using the .deb
> package.

Maybe ... debian and ubuntu do not have identical packages -- there may
be library-compatibility problems.

Or maybe it's possible to capture /etc and cmopare it with Debian's ...
presumably there are a limited number of configuration files that are
actually relevant to wifi devices.  Perhaps a few in udev.

Without wifi, does it work when you plug in a wired ethernet cable?

-- hendrik