[MLUG] netbooks / laptops

David Pelletier dpelletier at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 18:14:33 EDT 2009

It works fine in eeebuntu, but the desktop environment is BAD by default. I
tried to fix it, removed all the extra useless crap like pulseaudio and
eventualy gave up. The latest version of Ubuntu is not the sane and light
distro it used to be. Eeebuntu's only redeeming quality is that it has very
good configuration scripts for pretty much all eee PCs in existence, I guess
it should be possible to install these scripts on debian using the .deb
package.

My next tries are Arch Linux and Moblin (though it's based on Red Hat, I
still want to try it), but I don't have much time right now with the end of
the semester approaching fast. I guess by the time the semester is over,
debian eee will fully support the 1000HE anyway. :)

Hardware wise, I still love it. The only slight problem I found with it is
that when you put it between books in a bag, the pressure on the lid is
enough to push the screen to touch the keyboard and leave dead skin and fat
marks on the screen. I put my screen cleaning cloth on the keyboard before
closing the lid and it doesn't happen anymore.

Well, the Debian eee wiki pages now list the 1000HE, and have a web page on

--
David Pelletier
http://spareminds.org