[MLUG] Help with network bridge (or any other solution)

Aurelian Melinte ame01 at gmx.net
Wed Mar 25 20:48:16 EDT 2009

Hello,

is there any way to bridge a tun interface which is up with a network card? I need to brew a kind of a site-to-site VPN device.

The problem: I have a couple of Ethernet dumb hardware devices that have to be on a VPN. To establish the VPN I use Cisco AnyConnect, which, when connected, establishes a tun iface. Now, any application on tun machine can access the VPN. But not my devices.

I want to bridge one of the network cards of the tun machine to the tun interface so that my dumbs can access the VPN - they have to get an IP on the VPN. Then hook a switch on that net card and attach my devices to it. The other card goes out to my ISP.

I cannot use OpenVPN (I know it does bridges). I know there is Cisco ASA that does site-to-site but that requires a static IP.

Any suggestions welcome. Would routing work instead of bridging?

Thanks,
a.