[MLUG] Help with network bridge (or any other solution)

Nick Nobody me at nikosapi.org
Wed Mar 25 23:15:55 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 20:48 -0400, Aurelian Melinte wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there any way to bridge a tun interface which is up with a network card? I need to brew a kind of a site-to-site VPN device.
>
> The problem: I have a couple of Ethernet dumb hardware devices that have to be on a VPN. To establish the VPN I use Cisco AnyConnect, which, when connected, establishes a tun iface. Now, any application on tun machine can access the VPN. But not my devices.
>
> I want to bridge one of the network cards of the tun machine to the tun interface so that my dumbs can access the VPN - they have to get an IP on the VPN. Then hook a switch on that net card and attach my devices to it. The other card goes out to my ISP.
>
> I cannot use OpenVPN (I know it does bridges). I know there is Cisco ASA that does site-to-site but that requires a static IP.
>
> Any suggestions welcome. Would routing work instead of bridging?
>
> Thanks,
> a.

You can use brctl[1] for transparent bridging but that's only if DHCP
will work over the vpn tunnel. Otherwise set up NAT[2] on your "tun"
machine using iptables. From there you can use static IPs for the client
machines or set up a DHCP server on the "tun" box to provide them with
IP addresses.

nick

[1] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Net:Bridge
[2] http://www.revsys.com/writings/quicktips/nat.html