[MLUG] Cloud Computing

David Montminy david.montminy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 13:34:40 EDT 2011

My experience tells me that in terms of jobs, nothing is really 'saved'.
The MS Office VBA developper is now doing Javascript on Google App
Scripts, and the sysadmin still has to manage the accounts and
permissions for the entire staff, even if the server is not "owned" by
the company.

The cloud is mostly useful for small company. For a large enough
enterprise, some questions start to arise like:
-Do you really own your e-mails?
-Can you be affected by a laws outside your juridiction?
-What happens in case of a compromised server? (like the Epsilon case
currently in the news)
-What do you do if they decide to shut down the service?

Things like Amazon EC2 and Google App are great for any starting company
but I doubt that very big business will move entirely to the cloud....
unless they own that cloud of course :)

David Montminy

--
David Montminy