[MLUG] Gnome 3

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 15:44:05 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> For a developer or a serious user, Gnome 3 is not for you. Best to
> remain with the classical Gnome interface, if it is possible.

Hi,

I've been using GNOME 3 for some weeks now, and personally I
wouldn't switch back to v2.

Launching and switching between apps is fast and intuitive especially
if you're keyboard friendly. Overall design is slick.

Windows to be organized can be quickly sent to dynamic workspaces.

Also if you click on Applications in the activities view, you can then
choose between the same categories as before (Accesories, Office,
Internet, Sound, etc.) but directly typing is actually MUCH faster.

The advantage is that there's no more need to browse the applications
menu most of the time. You can just show the activities view (Mod4
key, Alt+f1 or top-left corner with mouse) and start typing.
The best matching application or file name will be selected.

For developers the gnome shell can be fully customized in css
/JavaScript and JS extensions can be created (think chromium
extensions).

A few of my use cases :
Launch (or switch to) apps:
-> Mod4, f, <return> (firefox)
-> Mod4, te, <return> (gnome-terminal)

Alt+Tab, Alt+`: Regular switch, switch current app windows,
Alt+Esc: switch current desktop windows

Maximize window: drag to upper edge or Alt+f10 or double click
Snap window to left/right screen half: Drag to left/right corner
Minimize window: right click or custom keyboard shortcut (Alt+f9)

Javascript console: Alt+f2 lg
Restart gnome-shell: Alt+f2 r

So my conclusion is pretty much the opposite of Leslie's.
It allows efficient desktop handling, there is a small
learning curve, and is more simple and elegant than
its predecessor.

There are still minor bugs, but fedora 15 is still alpha and
will be released at the end next month.

Regards
JO

Hi JO

Thanks for the extra information.  It was midnight and I was just golng on first experimentation with Gnome 3.

My Fedora 15 is the new Beta version, just released two or three days ago.

It appears faster in startup and that may be because I have fewer applications therein.

I guess I am an old dog and I have problems learning new tricks.  Perhaps it just takes me a few hours extra to be convinced.

Thanks again, I will explore when wife watches her American Idol show.

Regards

Regards
 Leslie
 Mr. Leslie Satenstein
40 years in IT and going strong.
Yesterday was a good day, today is a better day,
and tomorrow will be even better.

mailto:lsatenstein at yahoo.com