[MLUG] Fedora 15 ideosynchracies.

aaron d instantkamera at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 23:22:01 EDT 2011

Just go back to gnome 2 if that is what you want, or better still, use xfce.
They have no intention of leaving fallback mode as an option down the road
(at least not in such an easy to enable setting), so if you don't like it,
you are better off finding a more viable long-term solution. Xfce is very
mature, lightweight, simple and has excellent tools that work every bit as
well as the gnome2 counterparts. It also looks and functions almost exactly
the same.

Aaron
On Apr 28, 2011 1:06 PM, "Leslie S Satenstein" <lsatenstein at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Hi Cyrl,
>
> I am using the fallback option. (System tools, graphics on).  I find a
waste of time to use the standard interface.  But there is a complete set of
functions that are missing.

> Switch to the graphics option, right click on applications, and you should
have alacarte running.  The very bottom entry is system.  Inside of system
are a group of applications and sub-applications.  One of them is screen
saver.

> It is not in the (right click under your name option).  In fact, it is not
reachable via GUI

> ------------------
>
> Regards
>  Leslie
> Mr. Leslie Satenstein
> 40 years in IT and going strong.
> Yesterday was a good day, today is a better day,
> and tomorrow will be even better.
>
> mailto:lsatenstein at yahoo.com
> alternative: leslie.satenstein at itbms.biz
> www.itbms.biz

Super key), the System menu is hidden under your name (top right corner).

> The desktops are added automagically and when the desktop is empty it
disappear ...

> I know it's confusing :)
>

> On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 17:06 -0700, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
>

> I added alacarte to Fedora15, which allows me to edit menus. I followed
Jérome's advice and reverted to the "graphics off mode". This allowed me to
set 4 desktops.

> With alacarte installed (perhaps I did not need to install it), I
right-click on the Applications menu, and it opens for editing.

> The alacarte editor shows a final menu entry titled system.  However,
System is not shown on the dropdown menu.  I have not found a way to force
system to appear.

> The second bizzare situation is dragging an application to the panel. Once
on the panel, one cannot remove it.  There does not appear to be a way to
add/remove panels.  There is a panel application, but it fails to run after
starting.

> I want the system menu, as one submenu within system is preferences.
>

> Preferences allows me to setup the screensaver, manage sound, software
updates, etc...

> Someone has cut the menu to be 1 entry short.
>

> Did I fail to find an alternate path to the screensaver. Screensaver does
not appear as well, in the new gnome3 "all on the desktop" format.