[MLUG] Fedora 15 ideosynchracies.

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sat Apr 30 09:32:41 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:46:12AM -0400, aaron d wrote:
> You missed the point. He was saying you can use sudo to escalate the
> privileges of ONE graphical process, a significantly safer proposition than
> logging into and entire GUI session as root, not to mention being less of a
> waste of time.

I was told, long ago, of the dangers of using even a root window in X.
I was told that the X protocol allows any process with a window on an X
server (your screen) to enter events (such as keypresses) into any other
window.  This is useful when you're tryng to provide interesting UI
facilities.  But it provides privilege escalation if the ordinary window
happens to contain malware and teh root window is, for example, a shell
that can do *anything*.

Whether this is still possible in X I don't know.  But I'd be pleasantly
surprised it if weren't.

-- hendrik