[MLUG] Fedora 15 ideosynchracies.

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 11:55:19 EDT 2011

Hi Aaron

I have xfce installed after yesterday's discussion. It is good.  I am cautioned to use sudo, and by the way, for simple stuff, such as installing software, or modifying a parameter in /etc, I do use sudo.   example sudo yum install xyz,  sudo vim xyz.conf.

But sometimes I want to do a selective delete of many files. This is more easily done with a GUI interface.  (Sort, tag delete).

If I was on a multi user server, I would agree with everyone about the dangers, especially as long as someone knew when I was on the system in root,

With sudo, I may be on an X terminal which would be after hours when I am certain I am alone. The comment that everyone pointed out to me is, X is dangerous.  So sudo to an X terminal is dangerous too.

After hours, If it is critical, I would also disable networking for the maintenance I do.
Guys, I don't work consistently with root, but do use it in GUI mode for file and some application cleanups.

If developers have to leave gnome to have desktops, they will also leave that distribution. I have XFCE and it is fast, snappy and meets a developers requirements.  I am slowly moving to it. It is just a force to break old habits.

Regards
 Leslie
 Mr. Leslie Satenstein
40 years in IT and going strong.
Yesterday was a good day, today is a better day,
and tomorrow will be even better.

mailto:lsatenstein at yahoo.com
alternative: leslie.satenstein at itbms.biz
www.itbms.biz