[MLUG] X clarification please

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 14:39:08 EDT 2011

I understood that X was not designed with security in mind.  I have this question, given a small environment of 3-4 users, all of which are locally attached.

Is my use of root, given these users are all local on the system with Gnome, a risk if none of the users are hostile?

 If someone logs into the system with remote desktop, (not happening during the day), is he able to see all the keypresses, as outlined in the link I was referred to in the previous emails?

If he/she has to be on the system, and go through the effort to capture my Gnome keystrokes, then what is the danger of a breech from remote logon (secure telnet via putty)?  Just because a danger is possible from a local user only, what is the risk to using root under Gnome?  Is the risk any less with Gnome3 or XFCE?  The local user's are doing authoring of material and may from time to time, access Google or other search engine.

Regards
 Leslie
 Mr. Leslie Satenstein
40 years in IT and going strong.
Yesterday was a good day, today is a better day,
and tomorrow will be even better.

mailto:lsatenstein at yahoo.com
alternative: leslie.satenstein at itbms.biz
www.itbms.biz