[MLUG] netbooks / laptops

Jeremy me at jeremychapman.info
Fri Mar 6 10:51:37 EST 2009

David Montminy wrote:
> hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>
>> Interesting.  But the one question I have about eeebuntu is: how free is
>> it?  The web page you refer to mentions a custom kernel.  So to get the
>> most out of the eeepc, have they provided various binary blobs to
>> drive the hardware?  Are we going to have trouble a few years hence, if
>> there's no truly open source version of those binary blobs?
>>

> That modified kernel is available at:
> http://www.array.org/ubuntu/source.html
> And the GIT repository is at: http://www.array.org/ubuntu/source-git.html
>
> The main difference in that kernel is making sure the drivers released
> by ASUS are included (they were distributed as source for an older
> kernel if I remember correctly)

http://www.array.org/ubuntu/enhancements.html

It is quite easy to take out the asus hardware driver, all it does is
fan monitoring and overclock enable.

As I said, go ahead with debian, this is just a very nice linux OS that
makes everything work with no tweaking. Use it as a basis for getting
other OSes working.

BTW, both debian and ubuntu have great wiki pages about it. Also, pretty
much everything is covered at http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ .

Jeremy