[MLUG] [OT] Yet an other ISP thread.

Stephane Bakhos nuitari-mlug at nuitari.net
Tue Mar 24 19:31:49 EDT 2009

>> Complain to Bell (411) that the phone line is noisy when the weather is
>> wet or humid.
>
> I think you mean 611?

Yes 611, sorry.

>> Make sure that when the tech comes around that he only checks the Bell
>> part of the line and not the whole line. Say that the problem is
>> intermittent and mostly when it rains.
>>
>> Note that it is quite possible for squirrels to chew the telephone wiring
>> enough to cause problems.
>

> Actually, it is slightly noisy at all times the line (kind of like a
> static-ish fuzz) (yes all the phones are filtered, and no it doesnt sound
> like an unfiltered phone).
> And yes I do seem to loose sync even more so during spring (like now) or
> when it rains, which were all things I reported many times.
> In all of the tickets I've always asked for an "evening" appointment and
> they told me a tech would "visit" between 5PM to 9PM, however, most of the
> call backs I get from Bell are left during the day time basicly say "Sir,
> after verifying your phone line, we found no problems, your line stats are
> more than exceptional and that no noise was detected on the line, and in 2
> cases without even telling me, they bumped my connection profile from 4mbps
> interleave to 6mbps fastpath, making my modem barely able to even achieve
> DSL sync.... and of course these techs never leave phone #'s, so I gotta
> call back TekSavvy to open ANOTHER friggin ticket and wait another
> 48-72hours before they put my connection profile to what it was before, and
> even then they don't do it, they leave me at 5mbps interleave which causes
> ~10 disconects per hour, instead of 2-3 per hour at 4mbps interleave.

Don't bother with the DSL tickets, have them do it as a voice issue. I've
had much better service (yeah from Bell...) with handling the noise issue
through the voice part.

Don't even mention DSL issues to the voice department, else they'll dump
you on Sympatico. The best is to keep it simple, and if you have to, fake
some line noise.

> TSI had even escalated a ticket that was opened last week, and a Bell tech
> was supposed to come explicitely to verify/rewire the demarc & NID at my
> house between 5PM - 9PM.... so far no tech & no calls... The logic was to
> have Bell verify/rewire my entrance since 1) I don't seem to have a demarc,
> just a cable from the post, straight through the wall into the NID (which is
> actually a violation since that means the line is ungrounded)  and 2) if my
> DSL still has sync problems at anything less than 6mbps fastpath, Teksavvy
> and escalate the issue further as that would be proof there is nothing wrong
> with my internal wiring (not that there would be any since I've had DSL for
> ~many years prior to that, and a Bell Entourage tech actually did the Y
> split for my DSL modem (whole house is filtered out at the NID, with a
> straight untiltered line from the NID to my modem.

The new demarcs are great, they are actually outside of the house and have
a way for you to access the phone line directly with a phone, so it is
easy to check if the noisiness comes from a loose wire somewhere or from
Bell's side.