[MLUG] Cloud Computing

Nick Sklav sklav at teksavvy.com
Tue Apr 5 21:51:16 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 18:33 -0700, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
> Salut André
>
> I was thinking of the staffing costs. And if the cloud is really a
> server farm in your own city, with a fast pipe to the company
> premises, why employ a sysadmin when a PC Tech could do the job at a
> lower salary cost.
>
> ------------------
>

> Regards
>

>  Leslie

The Average pc technician has no idea of how the cloud works let alone
understand the API required to push the data to the cloud.

Now I am not saying it is impossible but if all you need is someone
changing hard drives or etc when they break consider getting a
consultant who offers the services for less than what you would pay a
person doing the work full time and on-site. But keep in mind there is
no instant gratification this way.

But in theory if you have the right team in place you can probably get
away with the idea you have but in all likely hood will become apparent
that it doesn't work very well in the long run especially if the company
starts growing.

PS: Im not sure of the cloud myself its cool for some stuff but add's
complexity too others, Almost making it worthless in some aspects I
think of it as file storage at this point in time.