[MLUG] Cloud Computing

Pascal Charest pascal.charest at labsphoenix.com
Wed Apr 6 07:54:49 EDT 2011

Hi,

No you can't do everything the 'cloud offer' with a good GNU/Linux server.
As I said earlier, at the very least, to match the 'cloud' concept, you need
to give high-availability services...

To match a 'cloud' service (lets say Amazon)/to build your own private
cloud, you will need: 2 GNU/Linux servers (redundancy, against hw crash),
shared storage between those 2 servers (SAN + fiberswitchs would be the
standard, aoe could be done [but then so much for security]), ethernet
switches that support network bonding (don't want your system running on
only one link), at the very least 2 upstream provider (bgp enabled routers)
and then a backup system. This is only on the infrastructure side, I'm not
speaking about the user-friendlyness of the system (if you want a mere tech
to be able to monitor/maintain/create new systems/environments)...

If your company is able to afford all that (servers, networking, storage,
backup & the competency of the sysadmin), then, it should already be doing
it. If it can't - think about why.

I am aware that I'm pushing a bit, there is some kind of work load that are
not really at advantage in a virt. environment, but those are the exception
rather than the norm.

P.
--
Pascal Charest, skype: pascal.charest